SAN LEANDRO, CA: Last night, the City Council publicly honored fifteen local residents who have made meaningful contributions to the San Leandro community over the past year. As part of the annual district leadership and Mayor’s awards of excellence ceremonies, the City Council recognized ten individuals, including one from each of the six council districts, along with four Mayor’s award recipients who have made a significant difference in San Leandro.
The following awardees were presented with District Leadership Awards from each of the council districts:
- Robert Caruso District 1 Leadership Award Councilmember Deborah Cox
- Helena Straughter District 2 Leadership Award Councilmember Ed Hernandez
- Rick Solis District 3 Leadership Award Councilmember Lee Thomas
- Yan Zeng District 4 Leadership Award Councilmember Benny Lee
- Noel Moritz District 5 Leadership Award Councilmember Corina Lopez
- Terry Guillory District 6 Leadership Award Councilmember Pete Ballew
The following awardees were presented with the Mayor’s Award of Excellence in each category below:
- Tony Farley, San Leandro Academy for Multimedia Mayor’s Award of Excellence, Individual
- Tong Sengsourith, Noodles Pho Me Mayor’s Award of Excellence, Small Business
- Rachel Rendel, Columbia Cosmetics Manufacturing, Inc. Mayor’s Award of Excellence, Large Business
- Delane Sims, Steps to Success “A City Where Kindness Matters” Award
Also at yesterday’s Council meeting, the following five individuals were recognized for five or more years of dedicated service on various City boards and commissions:
- Michael Bolar Five Years Recreation and Parks Commission
- Justin Hutchinson Five Years Recreation and Parks Commission
- Corina Lopez Five Years (combined) Human Services Commission and City Council
- Marguerite Mazzitti Five Years Board of Zoning Adjustments
- Louis Neira Heystek Ten Years (combined) Youth Advisory Commission and Personnel Relations Board
Mayor Pauline Russo Cutter expressed a sincere gratitude to all the nominees and their families for making San Leandro a better place for all. “As Mayor, one of the fun parts of the job is being able to tour different organizations and businesses that operate in San Leandro and learn about the countless ways in which residents contribute to our community,” said Mayor Cutter. “We know that San Leandro is a city where kindness matters because the people who live or do business here make it such a special place. As my colleagues on the City Council can attest, it is our pleasure each year to recognize the service of those who make San Leandro the city we know it to be today.”
To view yesterday’s City Council meeting, visit: https://sanleandro.legistar.com
For more information, contact Alice Kim, Communications Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of San Leandro is one of the most diverse cities in the nation located at the center of the dynamic San Francisco Bay Area. With a vibrant community of more than 89,000 residents, San Leandro is proud of its well-maintained neighborhoods, excellent public libraries, twenty-one public parks, quality local schools, and a wide range of shopping, dining, and entertainment options. The City also encompasses a large industrial area that is home to a thriving advanced manufacturing industry. Visit sanleandro.org to learn more. To receive City press releases, meeting agendas or other notifications by email, sign up at www.sanleandro.org/portal.